The CWA Debut Dagger Competition
Use the print
button in your
browser to print
Please Note: Current and Former Members of the CWA are barred from entering the Debut Dagger Competition.
- Entrants should submit the opening of a proposed crime novel (up to 3,000 words) together with a synopsis (500 to 1,000 words) of its further development.
- The 2013 competition opens on 1st November 2012, and has a closing date of 2 February 2013. Entries may be submitted at any time between the opening and closing dates. Entries received after the closing date will not be considered. Please use the postal system as couriers will not deliver to PO Box numbers.
- An entry fee of £25 must be sent with each submission. Only cheques or postal orders in pounds sterling (made out to the Crime Writers' Association) or International Money Orders (Bankers' Orders) can be accepted. (But see below for online entries, for which credit card payments are accepted.)
- Submissions must be in English, typed using double-line spacing and unbound. Postal entries should be submitted on either A4 (210 x 297mm) or US Letter (8.5 x 11 inches) paper, and have a completed entry form attached to the front. Pages must be numbered with the title of your story included on each page. Personal information must only appear on the Entry Form. Do not include a cover sheet.
- A shortlist of entries, selected by professional readers, will be forwarded to a final judging panel chaired by the CWA Chairman, and composed of crime fiction editors from major publishing houses and authors’ agents. The judges’ decision is final. The winner will be announced at the CWA Daggers' Awards.
- Short-listed authors will receive a professional assessment of their entry. The winner will receive a prize of £700. There are no cash alternatives to non-cash prizes.
- There is no commitment to publish the winning entry.
- Copyright will remain with the entrant.
- Entries will not be returned. For confirmation of receipt send a stamped, self-addressed postcard. (Overseas competitors please note that an International Reply Coupon must be sent with the postcard in lieu of stamps.)
- Entries should be sent to the following PO Box (this is only available when the competition is open).
CWA Debut Dagger Competition
PO Box 1466
Additional rules for online entry
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm Greenwich Mean Time on the closing date. The website will no longer accept entries after this time.
- All entries must be submitted as a single file containing both the opening 3000 words and the synopsis. The file should be saved with the text double-spaced and the margins set for A4 paper (210 x 297mm).
- The file must be in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word Document (*.doc or *.docx) ; OpenDocument Text (*.odt); Rich Text File (*.rtf); or Portable Document Format (*.pdf)
- The entrant is responsible for ensuring that the file is readable and uncorrupted.
- The file cannot be amended or changed in any way once it has been submitted.
- Any entrant who submits a file or e-mail containing a virus will be immediately disqualified and will forfeit their entry fee.
- We will acknowledge receipt of entries and payment by e-mail.
- At our discretion, and only where practicable, we may notify an entrant of an unreadable file and invite them to resubmit the entry.
To contact us:
Write to: CWA Debut Dagger Competition
PO Box 1466